St. Alexander was founded in June of 1959 with the appointment of Father Joseph Hanton by Archbishop Albert Cardinal Meyer. Father Hanton selected the name “St. Alexander” in honor of the second century pope and his own deceased father and brother who bore the same name. Father Hanton began making the reality of our founding families’ dream come true with the purchase of a 12 acre site at 126th Street and 71st Avenue.
Parishioners’ dreams became a reality when the new church and school were completed. Prior to the completion, daily Masses, Baptisms and Confessions were held in the rectory garage, which had been converted into a chapel. Sunday Masses were held at Van Henkelum Funeral Home and then moved to the auditorium of Palos East School.
The cornerstone of our church and school was laid October 30, 1960. Cardinal Meyer dedicated the completed part of our Parish complex on October 4, 1961. In September, 1960, the door opened for the first day of school. The enrollment was recorded at 247 children.
In 2005, St. Alexander School celebrated 50 years of academic excellence, building on our founder’s dream of providing an excellent academic, religious and moral foundation for our children.